Did you know you can sell all or a portion of a life insurance policy, even term insurance?
Tasty food, refreshing drinks, and good company are all elements of a great barbecue. As you’re spending time with friends and family this summer, keep these few heart-healthy summer BBQ tips in mind for those sunny days by the grill.
1. Add color. Add lots of color to your meal in the forms of fruits and veggies. Almost all of your favorite veggies can be grilled alone or in a kebab, giving them a delicious flavor. Fruits could be made into salads, stand alone on a tray with a dip, or used to enhance the dessert table. Another fun addition to a summer cookout is creating a smoothie station. A perfect smoothie uses one or two fruits with milk or yogurt for protein. Using plant-based milk like almond or soy milk is also an option for a low calorie, non-dairy smoothie. Click here for a quick and easy blueberry smoothie recipe.
2. Grill smart. Try to choose lean meats, like skinless chicken breasts, lean ground poultry, or fish such as salmon or trout. These types of proteins are lower in saturated fat than red meat and fish contain healthy fats that are good for brain and heart health. Instead of using a lot of salt, make a simple rub of your favorite spices, such as allspice, chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, rosemary, or black pepper. Marinating or rubbing spices on poultry, fish and meat can add amazing flavor. A half cup of marinade or one tablespoon of spice rub is all you need for each pound of food.
3. Make your own marinades. Making your own marinades can help you skip out on the high fat, sodium, and sugar content that these store-bought versions have.
The basic components of a marinade are acid, oil and flavorings.
- Common acid options are citrus juice, vinegar and yogurt.
- For oils, use canola or safflower or a blend of both. Swap them in for recipes that call for olive oil. These oils have a higher smoke point than olive oil, so they can withstand the high heats of grilling without breaking down, oxidizing and producing carcinogens.
- Flavorings include onion, shallots, garlic, herbs, salt, or Worcestershire sauce.
4. Choose Whole Grains. Whole-grain buns and breads will complement your healthy feast with extra fiber, flavor and texture. If you’re staying away from grains altogether, lettuce wraps are a great and delicious alternative.
5. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Keeping hydrated is crucial while being out in the hot weather during the summer. Sodas and tea include caffeine and sugars that may taste delicious, but cause dehydration. Drinking water doesn’t have to be boring. Spice up water by adding herbs, sliced cucumbers or sliced fruit such as oranges, strawberries, peaches, nectarines or pineapple. Fun flavor pairings include watermelon and basil, cucumber and mint, blackberry and sage, and strawberry and mint or basil. If you need a bubbly taste, use seltzer water.
We hope these tips got you thinking about your summer plans to host or attend a great outdoor BBQ with family and friends. For other heart healthy food tips and tricks, check out the American Heart Association’s blog.
Did you know you can sell all or a portion of a life insurance policy, even term insurance? Selling an unwanted life insurance policy is no different than selling your car, home or any other valuable asset that will create immediate cash. Contact us today to learn more.
Life Settlement Advisors